Who to see

If you have continence problems there are professionals you can talk to and continence services that will give you help, advice, diagnosis and treatment

First visit

Ordinarily, your general practice or healthcare centre will be the first place to go to. You can talk to your family doctor or practice nurse or go to a well-man clinic or well-woman clinic if it's offered.

Women can talk to a gynaecologist about pelvic floor exercises and maintaining good continence control, especially during pregnancy and after childbirth.

If you need a home visit, your general practice can send a healthcare professional, such as your GP or a community nurse.

During this first visit your symptoms will be assessed.

If you are experiencing mild symptoms your GP or nurse practitioner may decide to advise and help you with appropriate diet, exercises and possibly medications.


Or they may refer you to a physiotherapist or continence care clinic where a specialist healthcare professional will assess your symptoms and help you with treatments. This could be a specialist physiotherapist or a continence nurse.

If you're pregnant or have a pregnancy-related problem, you might be referred to a gynaecologist or obstetrician.

If your problem stems from your gut itself, your doctor will send you to a gastroenterologist.

If you require surgery, you'll see a surgeon such as a colorectal surgeon.

Overview of specialties

External links will open in a new window. New terms and conditions will apply when you leave this website.

General practice (family doctor)

Nursing and continence care

Continence nurses and colorectal nurse specialists work both in hospitals and community and can do assessments and provide help with diet, exercise and some treatments.


Exercise and diet

Physiotherapist and specialist physiotherapist are specialists who can help with specific exercises for the pelvic muscles and with advice on daily exercise routines.

Dietitians and nutritionists can give specialist and general diet and nutrition advice and plans.


Older people's medicine

Geriatricians specialise in care for older people.

Pregnancy and childbirth, gynecology

Women will see a gynaecologist and obstetrician during their pregnancy, both of whom can help with continence care advice and assessment.

Specialist healthcare professionals

These specialties are gastroenterology, proctology and colorectal surgery.

External links

New terms and conditions and privacy policies apply when you leave this website


Nurses can do assessments and provide help with some treatments

This Web site and its content are provided by Medtronic UK Ltd for general information purposes only.